How to Clear Cache in Chrome Android
Google Chrome, like other apps, uses cache to store temporary files on your device. These files help improve your experience on the app by storing website files, images, and videos for your next visit.
But, over time, these files can gradually take up more space. Likewise, cache files also tend to get corrupted if you don’t clear them regularly.
Luckily, Google makes it easy to completely clear all your cache data from your Chrome app.
So, in this comprehensive guide, let’s learn how you clear your Chrome browser history, cookies and cache files on your Android device.
Is it safe to delete Chrome Cache?
Yes. It is completely safe to delete your cache files from your Google Chrome app. This method helps you free up storage space on your device. It also helps to remove any junk or corrupt files that may be affecting your device or app performance.
Clear caches and cookies on Chrome Android
If your browser is running slower than usual, it may be due to corrupted cache files. To erase these files, here are some steps you can follow.
- Launch your Chrome app from your Android device.
- Navigate to the upper right corner and press the three points icon.
- Select the Story option.
- Press on Clear navigation Data.
- From Time interval section, select All the time.
- Under the Basic tab, check the options for Cookies and site data, and Cached images and files.
- At the bottom, click Erase data.
- Finally, press the Erase data again to confirm your action.
Delete History on Chrome Android
Google Chrome keeps track of everything you’ve searched through the app. They use this browsing information to specifically personalize viewing. However, if you want to permanently delete your search history, here are some steps you can take.
- Open your Google Chrome app.
- Click on the three points icon in the upper right corner.
- Press on Story.
- Click on Clear browsing data.
- In the Time Range section, select All the time.
- Check the option to Navigation history.
- Click on Erase data.
Clear cache for specific sites on Chrome Android
If you’re only having problems on a specific website, Google Chrome allows you to delete the caches of the site in question. Here is a step by step guide on how to do it.
- Open your Chrome app.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Under the Advanced section, press Site Settings.
- Press on Storage or stored data, depending on your device.
- Locate or search for the website for which you want to delete the cache.
- Click on the Erase and reset button.
Clear browser cache via settings
In many cases, your Chrome app cache can also hamper your web browser’s performance. Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can delete the app cache from your settings.
- Locate your Chrome app.
- Long press the app icon and select Application information.
- Go to the Storage and caching option.
- Tap the Empty the cache button.
Clear caches and cookies on Firefox Android
If you use Mozilla Firefox as your default browser, here are some quick steps you can take to clear your cookies and cache files.
- Open your Firefox app on your device.
- Go to the three points the icon and select the icon Settings option.
- Scroll down and tap Delete browsing data.
- Check the boxes for Cached images and files, and Cookies.
- Press on Delete browsing data.
- To confirm your action, press the Remove button.
How to delete hidden cache?
Hidden caches are stored in cached directories other than the default ones. Therefore, you cannot delete these files by the above methods. To remove these caches, you will need to install third-party apps. Apps like 1Tap Cleaner and App cache cleaner are great for detecting hidden cache files and clearing them.
Alternatively, you can also manually clear hidden caches on your device. To do this, perform a hard reset. Now you can access the factory reset menu. However, be aware that the process of accessing the factory reset menu may vary depending on your version of Android and your manufacturer.
Once you are in the factory reset menu, make sure to select the Clear data and cache option. This process will also remove all other app caches installed on your device.
Automatically Clear Android Cache
Manually clearing your app and website caches can be cumbersome. A quick solution to this problem is to use third-party apps as well. You can even set certain time intervals for cache cleanups on your device.
Does clearing the cache delete the history?
No, you can still access your browser history even if you have cleared your cache files. To delete your browsing history on chrome, make sure to check the option to Navigation history when deleting your browsing data.
Are cookies and cache the same thing?
Cookies are small files that a particular website stores in the browser. It contains information about the website, such as login credentials and browsing history.
On the other hand, cache files help to remember the part of the webpage like images and videos to help load the webpage faster.
Does clearing cache on Chrome delete passwords?
If you didn’t check the option for saved passwords when deleting your caches, Chrome won’t delete your passwords.
How long is Chrome history kept?
By default, Google Chrome only stores your browsing history for up to 90 days.